Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:41:31 +0100

William Case wrote:
Hi;

What are all you people doing with emacs ?
This is a casual chatty question not to be taken too seriously, but if
some of you are taking a break from your real work, I would be really
interested in knowing just what people really do with it.  Emacs I mean.

I started using Emacs because I got really tired of all different programs I had to learn to do all different kinds of programming, web authoring etc. It just took too much time learning all these different environments. Wasted time.

Actually I felt I was just kind working for those companies that sold all these proprietary programming tools I used. Struggling with all the problems and constraints they had. Learning Emacs instead seem to be something that would be good in the long run.

And beside that Emacs let me use my vi typing skills and that makes it quite a bit easier for me to do things quickly.

So I try to use Emacs for most editing and writing. Though I am using Thunderbird as my mail client. I found it too hard to get any Emacs mail client working on MS Windows. The instructions unfortunately did not seem trustworthy for MS Windows and I depend on that my mail client works without problems.