Accents through Mac OS Terminal

From: googlegroups
Subject: Accents through Mac OS Terminal
Date: 8 Feb 2007 15:40:48 -0800

I do a lot of editing on emacs over an ssh connection originating from
the Mac OS Terminal. When I use vi or even at the shell prompt I can
paste accented characters or use the built-in Mac OS dead keys with no
problem.

As soon as I bring up emacs, however, attempts to paste accented
characters or use the dead keys result in a beep and no character
entered.

Why can other applications accept 8-bit accented characters when emacs
cannot? Can I teach emacs to accept these characters?

Colin

p.s. I have read the numerous faqs and documentation on the topic. I'm
not looking to enable emacs' internal character composition mechanism.
I just want to paste or type accented characters and have them be
accepted just like vi or the shell would accept them.

p.p.s at this time I am using emacs 20.7.1