Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?
Date: 9 Feb 2007 09:26:56 -0800

On Feb 8, 3:45 pm, William Case <billli...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> What are all you people doing with emacs ?
>
> I took an early retirement and now spend most of my time in a nicely
> fixed up den or office in the basement, on my computer using Fedora Core
> 6.  I am learning and exploring computers more and more every day.  I
> love it; I have come to firmly believe computers should be for the older
> and not the young.
>
> The point of my question is I use emacs to write an occasional bash
> script or a small C program.  I screw around with beginners level lisp
> and watch things not work.  But as I read the posts on the mailing list
> it is obvious emacs is being used for much much more.  Sometimes it
> seems it has replaced the Gnome or KDE desktop.  Outside of programming,
> I am having trouble imagining why people would use it.  Do you use it
> full screen all the time; only in a terminal or a virtual terminal?  Is
> it the only program you have running at start up with everything else
> being done by command line?

I use Emacs for many things, a short list would be:-
* Editing, for general text and programming purposes
* For compiling and interacting with interpreters
* As a shell, using eshell
* To browse documentation using Info and Man
* As a file manager
* As a Calculator

But I don't use it for web-browsing or email, I use separate word-
processors, spreadsheets etc.
If I didn't interact with so many people who use Outlook I'd probably
use it for email.