Re: Newbie question re ediff

From: Wilmar Igl
Subject: Re: Newbie question re ediff
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:06:24 +0100

Hi, Matt!

As far as I know, Emacs is supposed to be integrated in a UNIX/LINUX environment and calls certain commands which are supposed to be available under those OS, e.g. ispell or diff.

I had the same problem like you and solved it by installing the (suprise, suprise) free "Windows Services for Unix" (SFU) which is available from

http://www.microsoft.com/germany/windowsserver2003/technologien/sfu/default.mspx

Installing another Unix emulation, like Cygwin, will do the same job, but is more difficult to install. I only tested the ediff functions with SFU with two buffers, but it worked fine.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Wilmar from Wuerzburg

PS: I'd rather use a more uptodate version of EmacsW32 (with Win32 adaptations included) which is available from <http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html>.

mkeller schrieb:
Hi all,

This comes from a emacs novice. I've searched the old posts and found
several querries related to mine, but all the answers are over my head...
thus, please answer like you're talking to a "emacs challenged" person when
replying :).

I use emacs version 21-3 for programming in R (ESS). I'm running on Windows
XP. I would really like to use the "ediff" or "diff" functions but cannot
figure out how to do this. If I simply go to Tools -> Compare I get this:

"No such file or directory, diff"

After reading previous querries & responses on this forum, I installed
diffutils-2.8.7-1.exe and placed those utilities in the folder: C:\Program
Files\GnuWin32.

Now someone on a previous response said you need to change your _emacs file
"appropriately," but I have no idea how to do that. Do I need to change the
_emacs file so that emacs knows where to find the diff program? If so, how
do I do that? If not, what do I need to do to use diff within emacs?

Appologies for the level of this question, and thanks in advance,

Matt