Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:14:26 +0800

*On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:00:15 +0100
* Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried
out:

> What was it that you didn't find in the manual? That you can use it to
> chat with MSN/ICQ-friends or how to do it?
>
> I should also say that jabber.el itself does not handle the MSN/ICQ
> protocols, the jabber server does this.

You know I had no idea about Jabber until recently. I dont like online
chat.
But with your instruction, I visited jabber.org and then followed link
to xmpp.net and found info about jabber.se. I understood that I need a
server with msn transport, and jabber.se has this gateway. So I
registered there and added msn to transport. Now I can chat with
jabber.el.

What I mean is jabber manual should mention that with server support it
can be used to chat with msn/yim/icq etc. You know for a jabber newbie
like me, if there is no mentioning of this capability, we may turn
around and go to other apps or sit at the corner of some street and cry
our hearts out.

Anyway thanks, I can chat within Emacs now.