Re: *background color*

From: rgb
Subject: Re: *background color*
Date: 12 Feb 2007 05:36:32 -0800

On Feb 12, 1:33 am, Mathias Dahl <brakjol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A Soare <alins...@voila.fr> writes:
> > Why is it not possible to associate a background color to a buffer,
> > not just to a frame? It could be possible to insert such a feature
> > in future?
>
> Interesting idea! I might actually use such a feature. One could have
> different background color on important buffer, to quickly recognize
> them when swithing/cycling/whatever buffers or when having several
> frames or windows.
>
> I saw Stefan's reply, let's hope for Emacs 23...
>
> I wonder if it could be implemented using overlays in the meantime, or
> maybe that would be slow? Or impossible.

If you care to go thru the trouble, Stefan mentioned in a
recent thread

"
> The stock font-lock face names (like font-lock-builtin-face, etc) all
> are symbols that point to themselves (or something like that) and so
> are more-or-less self-quoting.
The purpose of those vars is not just to make it "self-quoting", but
rather
to be able to change the face in some buffers, by making the variable
local
to that buffer."

So the capabilities appear to be there.  The mechanics to issue all
the make-local-variable commands would then be whats missing.
Perhaps some tweeks to color theme could be made to issue them?

Or maybe non-stock faces are often not implemented in the necessary
way?