Re: Sociological Data Analysis with Emacs?

From: sven . bretfeld
Subject: Re: Sociological Data Analysis with Emacs?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:36:50 +0100

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:17:09PM +0100, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> I just downloaded qda and tried to test it. What do I need to do to
> start it? (I read the info file, but it does not tell me the whole story
> I think.)

Hi Lennart

I tested the package this afternoon. M-x qda RET results in an error
message: "Symbol function is void: loop". But it's possible to start it by
typing M-x
load-library RET qda. Before it works you have to put the following to
you .emacs file:

(setq load-path (append load-path
                        (list (expand-file-name "~/elisp/qda"))))

Where ~/elisp/qda is the directory where you have installed the
package. I installed it in the system-wide
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/qda first time I tried. But, then, I
had to chmod the elc-files to o+r. (I don't know if that was necessary
or just one of the things I tried when I faced problems.)

Create a folder named "qda" in your $HOME. Then try M-x
qda-create-project. Give it a name like "my-project". Then type M-x
qda-view-tree. An empty code-tree appears where you can add new codes
by typing "a", and then "t" for refreshing the tree. I could only add
new codes (nodes) of the first degree. Additional nodes of the 2nd and
3rd degree could be added but are nor displayed when I typed "t"
again.

But the package is stil not usable, since the function
qda-load-project doesn't work at the moment. Also qda-introduce-doc
isn't working.

That's how far I have come.

I'm looking forward for a version that works in all environments.

Jim, however I can help you, please tell me. Remember, I'm not an
elisp developer, but I can serve as a test-user whenever you can find
some time to do further work. Oh, by the way, congratulations for your PhD.

Sven