Re: Sociological Data Analysis with Emacs?

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: Sociological Data Analysis with Emacs?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:53:12 +0000

> On 13 Feb 2007, sven bretfeld wrote:
[...]
> Create a folder named "qda" in your $HOME. Then try M-x
> qda-create-project. Give it a name like "my-project". Then type M-x
> qda-view-tree. An empty code-tree appears where you can add new codes
> by typing "a", and then "t" for refreshing the tree. I could only add
> new codes (nodes) of the first degree. Additional nodes of the 2nd and
> 3rd degree could be added but are nor displayed when I typed "t"
> again.
>
> But the package is stil not usable, since the function
> qda-load-project doesn't work at the moment. Also qda-introduce-doc
> isn't working.
>
> That's how far I have come.
>
> I'm looking forward for a version that works in all environments.

I am embarrassed that it doesn't work: I thought that the main problem
was that it had poor documentation and a difficult user interface. But I
had not noticed that the project setup and document introduction bits
didn't work anymore since I have not created any projects nor added any
documents for a few years. Mostly I've been analysing a lot of interview
data that I had already added.

And there are a few nice developments in Emacs that could be added to
it, such as the tree-widget facility, and Muse's hyperlinking and
publishing.

> Jim, however I can help you, please tell me. Remember, I'm not an
> elisp developer, but I can serve as a test-user whenever you can find
> some time to do further work.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

> Oh, by the way, congratulations for your PhD.

Thank you! It seems to be harder to find time for Emacs programming
since passing the PhD, though.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway