Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?

From: Endless Story
Subject: Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?
Date: 16 Feb 2007 09:00:12 -0800

On Feb 16, 11:22 am, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> An alternative solution to the one you request might be to open the file
> using the `windows-1252' coding-system rather than `latin-1'.
>
>         C-x RET c windows-1252 RET C-x C-f <thefile> RET
>
> or if you have a recent Emacs, you can just revert the buffer with
> a different coding system:
>
>         C-x RET r windows-1252 RET

This does nothing to address the situation I am talking about, where
these bad characters need to be removed altogether so they will not
foul up text files handed to LaTeX. Also Sebastian's suggestion of
(standard-display-ascii ?\200 (vector (decode-char 'ucs #x253c))),
etc., does nothing either. As far as I can see both of these
approaches merely permit the "correct" display of \222 etc. inside
Emacs. That's not my problem!