Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?

From: Radamanthe
Subject: Re: How to get rid of Microsoft dumb quotes, e.g. \222 for apostrophe?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:00:06 +0100

Endless Story wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:22 am, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
An alternative solution to the one you request might be to open the file
using the `windows-1252' coding-system rather than `latin-1'.

        C-x RET c windows-1252 RET C-x C-f <thefile> RET

or if you have a recent Emacs, you can just revert the buffer with
a different coding system:

        C-x RET r windows-1252 RET

This does nothing to address the situation I am talking about, where
these bad characters need to be removed altogether so they will not
foul up text files handed to LaTeX. Also Sebastian's suggestion of
(standard-display-ascii ?\200 (vector (decode-char 'ucs #x253c))),
etc., does nothing either. As far as I can see both of these
approaches merely permit the "correct" display of \222 etc. inside
Emacs. That's not my problem!

Emacs display \222 in place of the character because it did not found this one in the font (btw, \222 = 0x92 = 146 which is not a "visual" character), so it displays the character with its octal code. If you move your cursor over it, you'll see that the whole \222 is just a unique character.

Tell us what should Emacs do to represent a character it doesn't have the layout for ? :)

--
R.N.