Re: Possible bugs with indentation in html mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Possible bugs with indentation in html mode
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:41:00 -0500

> I'm editing HTML code using emacs and I'm noticing some strange behavior
> with the indentation.

Emacs does not come with an HTML mode that provides indentation (unless
you're using a development version such as the soon-to-be-released
Emacs-22).  There are several packages out there that provide an HTML mode
with indentation.  So please tell us which HTML mode you're using.

> will happily indent each by two spaces relative to the container tag,
> ending the additional space when it finds the corresponding closing tag.
> However, it does not handle single tags well (e.g. "<br>", "<meta...>",
> etc.).  Emacs adds the two-space indentation following one of these single
> tags and will not decrement the indentation unless a closing tag is found
> for some surrounding set of tags.

I believe the Emacs-22 HTML mode does handle those special tags correctly,
so I presume this is another mode you're talking about.

        Stefan