Re: Hiding text

From: thorne
Subject: Re: Hiding text
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:28:16 -0800

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Try facemenu-set-invisible .  I found that by running C-h a (apropos)
>> invisible (People were discussing invisible text a few weeks ago).
>
> Also, you should probably use facemenu-set-intangible.  Otherwise, the
> text won't be there, but the cursor will still "pause" as you move past
> it.  There's probably a way to set both these properties at once.

Interestingly, it does not seem to have that effect on my emacs
(23.0.51).  When i type over text made invisible, point just acts like
there's nothing there--which is actually unfortunate (for me in this
narrow case) because it means you can't get rid of it as simply as
deleting a character.  I was hoping to find a way to make it as easy
as just typing along and going `_' `f' `o' `o' `_' and having it do
its thing, underlining `foo' as soon as you hit the last `_'.  And
being reversible just by deleting the `_'.

Failing that, the way enriched-mode does it would be fine, but i guess
i am going to have to look at the code to try to see if it is possible
to have enriched mode not do pretty much everything else it does.
Hmmm...

Ito would be nice if there was a way to do it with font lock, as in
`font-lock-almost-nonexistent-face' :)

--
þ    theron tlax    þ