Re: Emacs and vim analogs

From: M G Berberich
Subject: Re: Emacs and vim analogs
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:36:58 +0100

Hello

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:03:50 +0100, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Clinton Curry" <clintonc@uab.edu> writes:

>> 2) Redo-last-change.  In Vim, if you make a change, pressing "."
>> will make the change again.  Is there something analogous in Emacs,
>> aside from defining a macro?
>
> Either C-x M-ESC or C-x z, depending on your requirements.

You probably mean C-x ESC ESC or C-x M-: . C-x M-ESC simply quits my
emacs. But both are not doing what '.' does in vim. With vims . you
can repeate commands like “replace next three word with …”, “indent 5
lines”, “append … to line” or “replace rest of line with …”
(where … stands for some text). This is not possible with emacs
because there is no implicit grouping of inserted characters, so C-x z
repeats the last character typed, which is completely useless.

While I use the . command in vim frequently, I never ever had any use
for “repeat” or “repeat-complex-command” (I can't even think of a
usefull application for “repeat”).

    MfG
    bmg

--
"Des is völlig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | M G Berberich
 sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!"          | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de