Re: Matching of template <> in C++ mode

From: lutorm
Subject: Re: Matching of template <> in C++ mode
Date: 20 Feb 2007 11:57:51 -0800

On Feb 20, 5:04 am, "rgb" <rbiel...@i1.net> wrote:
> Actually it would totally wreck real paren class matching.
> The characters < and > are typically used all over and if
> they had paren syntax then the parens in (x > y) would not
> match any more.  The implementation would need to be careful
> not to give < or > characters paren syntax except under the
> specific template conditions you've described.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm thinking of it as two separate
functions, the blinking of matching parens and the determining if they
are mismatched. It would still be useful if it would blink matching
pairs of <> even if doing nothing else. However, this is not a new
problem, it already has to figure out if a paren character is in a
string or comment. I was going to say that the syntax highlighting has
to have solved it, too, but upon closer inspection it has not...

Anyway, it seems the number of people writing C++ with emacs must be
pretty large so I can't be the first one to think of this?