Re: Gnu Emacs and gnuclient

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs and gnuclient
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:56:58 +0100

Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bonow@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> I *love* the Multi-tty features. If the XEmacs team doesn't get
> their act together any time soon, I will do the switch away from my
> beloved XEmacs because of this feature alone (Sigh).

Uh, what?

The whole point of the awfully overdesigned
locale/specifier/instantiator system in XEmacs that has from the
beginning made it impossible for anybody but the very gifted to
actually program and/or understand code seriously making use of images
and toolbars has been the support of multiple ttys with different
capabilities.

Consequently, XEmacs' gnuclient can open a frame right in the
gnuclient tty.  It's been a selling point of XEmacs for decades,
actually.

Now as far as I can tell, the programming APIs of Emacs' multi-tty
support will be much much easier to understand and use.

But the basic _feature_ has, as far as I can judge, been available to
users pretty much from the beginning of Lucid Emacs' separate
existence.

I can't think of any feature gap that took Emacs longer to close.

So as long as you are talking about the user-level feature (and not
the programmers' API), I am somewhat at a loss about why this would
make you consider a switch.

I am certainly not above XEmacs-bashing, but I would not have thought
user-level multi-tty support a suitable area.  It's been around in
XEmacs from very early on as far as I can tell.  So could you
elaborate?