Re: How to get asynchronous notifications from Emacs ?

From: David Soulayrol
Subject: Re: How to get asynchronous notifications from Emacs ?
Date: 27 Feb 2007 20:37:20 GMT

Hello,

Le Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:42:47 +0100, Lennart Borgman (gmail) a écrit:

> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>
>> David Soulayrol wrote:
>>> So I assume you are not aware of a tool which could be the companion of
>>> gnuserv for my needs ? I'll try to write this down.
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't know what gnuserv is.  I use regular emacsclient, and
>> am fairly new to emacs in general.  What exactly do you want to do?
>> I.E. what's your end goal?
>>
>>> But it doesn't have a kitchen sink.
>>
>> Patience.
>

> Well, if you want to communicate with the kitchen sink you can not do
> that (at least not in both directions) with emacsclient (or gnuclient,
> which is similar in spirit). Emacsclient will only send commands to
> Emacs, it does not take command from Emacs.
>
> What you should do is write a program that can talk and listen on
> standard output resp input. That program can then be run as an inferior
> process (Emacs parlang, a subprocess) in a buffer.
>
> Take a look for example at "shell" command in Emacs for example code.
>
> This way you do not have to buy an Emacs aware kitchen sink.

I understand now well that gnuserv or emacsclient is only meant at sending
commands to a running instance of Emacs. What I miss is, as I said, to get
information in the opposite way: from Emacs to another process.

My goal is to embed Emacs in pida, a python IDE based on other components.
pida is currently able to embed vim and a pair of other editors.

I'm going to take the time to read about elisp and try to write the
missing piece of my puzzle. Thanks both of you for your help.

David.