Buggy text rendering in emacs-snapshot-gtk

From: Taran
Subject: Buggy text rendering in emacs-snapshot-gtk
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:46:00 -0500

I just downloaded emacs-snapshot-gtk, but I'm hesitant to use it, as the
default font looks like this: (I'm using Ubuntu 6.10.)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/mimir227/emacs.png

Some fonts look a little better, but they all suffer from this
distorted-bitmap effect. Does anybody know how to fix this? Bear in mind
that I'm completely new to Emacs, so if the solution involves changing
some arcane option, please explain, or point me in the direction of an
explanation.