Re: elisp to run a new shell and insert commands?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: elisp to run a new shell and insert commands?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:35:51 +0100

Am 05.03.2007 um 16:02 schrieb gredner@gmail.com:

As part of the setup, I would like the
script to run a new shell (i.e. via M-x shell), and then insert a
command into the shell to setup some variables.  I feel like this
should be possible, but the documentation I have read does not mention
any such functionality.  Does it exist?

Yes, there is a way to achieve such things: ~/.emacs_<login shell>.

I have a similiar setup and included in ~/.emacs_tcsh, because tcsh is my login shell:

        echo "Hallöchen!"
        sleep 1
if (-e ~/.emacs_tcsh-init) source ~/.emacs_tcsh-init && rm ~/.emacs_tcsh-init

As you can imagine any (t)csh statement can be used. The same is true for sh, bash, ksh, ash ... The contents of ~/.emacs_tcsh-init is generated from Elisp.

Because this is documented: is it this that you are searching for?

--
Greetings

  Pete

  It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                    -- Garfield