Re: Installing new org-mode version

From: carsten . dominik
Subject: Re: Installing new org-mode version
Date: 6 Mar 2007 04:12:01 -0800

On Mar 5, 5:24 pm, "weber" <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 mar, 17:48, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>

> > > I'm not a newbie onemacsanymore, but i'm having trouble to install
> > >org-mode:/
> > > The problem is: there is already anorg-modeversion distributed with
> > >emacs(gnuemacs22 cvs)
> > > I want to install the last version from the author's site. I cannot do
> > > a "make install" easily because I am on Winxp.
> > > I tried just putting the new files on my load-path and doing a load-
> > > library.
> > > Even though the right files are being loaded, when I check version
> > > with command "org-version" I still get 4.56b. (The new version is
> > > 4.67)
>
> > What does M-: (find-library-name "org") RET say?
> > What's your load-path?  Where's your neworg.el?
> > If that still doesn't explain the problem, then:
> > where do you modify your load-path in your .emacs?
> > how/when do you startorg-mode?
> > I.e. give us a more specific step-by-step description of what you do.
>
> >         Stefan
>
> I wonder if only the org-version variable isn't right.
> I tried to run this code on scratch buffer, and even after that I
> still get 4.56.
>
> (defvar org-version "4.67"
>   "The version number of the fileorg.el.")
>
> Is this working like it should ?

Defvar sets the value of the variable only the first time it is
evaluated.
The second time, if there is already a value, it is not changed by
defvar anymore.

It sems to me that org.el is already loaded once before you make the
new version
available.  A way to do this would be (schematically:

(require 'org)  ; this load the built-in version
(setq load-path (cons "/path/to/new/org/" . load-path))
(load-file "org.el") ; this loads the new one.

Hope this helps

- Carsten