Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion

From: ken
Subject: Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:54:27 -0500

On 03/09/2007 08:14 AM somebody named Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 09.03.2007 um 11:15 schrieb ken:
>
>> "Replace goofy MS and other garbage characters with latin1 equivalents."
>
> I wouldn't recommend to do so! You can easily open such a file in some
> MS Windows encoding, enter a SPC, save in some ISO Latin, and remove the
> SPC (I think one change is needed to make GNU Emacs save a file,
> because: what's the sense in saving a safe file?). Don't forget to save
> again ...
>
> If you have more of such files you can use recode or iconv to convert
> them to some ISO Latin. Or: you can use Samba to present all MS Windows
> files in ISO Latin ... (a mount option)

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can see situations in which in which
they'd be better solutions.  Much of what I do entails copying & yanking
text into an existing emacs buffer.  I might do this a number of times
into the same file and each of the coding types of the insertions might
be different.  If there were one particular encoding type in emacs which
would display all possible other encoding types properly and allow me to
edit that file, I would try that and maybe even change all my files to
that.  But I doubt that capability exists (or ever will in my current
lifetime).

--
"Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its
possessors into trouble of all kinds."