How to fetch a URL to an Emacs buffer?

From: kj
Subject: How to fetch a URL to an Emacs buffer?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:40:10 +0000 (UTC)

Is there an Emacs command that would load a given URL into an Emacs
buffer?

Normally I would 1) switch to a browser; 2) visit the desired URL;
3) use the browser's "Save as..." command to save the URL's content;
4) switch back to Emacs; and 5) open the downloaded file, but this
but this song-and-dance can get cumbersome after a while.

If the function I'm interested in doesn't exist, is there something
close that I could hack?  Basically I need Emacs functions to send
and receive HTTP messages.

TIA!

kj