Re: Timezone change in US

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Timezone change in US
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:58:11 +0200

> From: Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net>
> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:31:35 -0500
>
> Now that the US has shifted into Daylight Savings, I've discovered
> that emacs is still displaying DST in the modeline.

Do you mean that the time displayed in the mode line is off by one
hour?  Or do you mean something else?

If the time is off by one hour, do you see the correct time in the
lower-right corner of the task bar (in the system tray)?

> I've possibly tracked the problem to an incorrect value returned by
> the function current-time-zone, which is defined in the file
> editfns.c. It is returning a value of -18000 EST, but it should be
> -14400 EDT. This is defined in the file editfns.c

Does it help to switch to another time zone via Control Panel
(including clicking Apply), then switch back to your correct time
zone?  Also, make sure the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight
savings time" checkbox is checked.  You don't need to reboot Windows
XP for that, btw, the effect should be visible as soon as you click
Apply in the Control Panel's "Date and Time Properties".

Finally, did you try to see if the time is displayed correctly in
"emacs -Q"?

> Does anybody have a patch for this, or is there something simple and
> obvious I'm missing.

It works for me without any patches, although not in the US.  How
(with what version of which compiler) was your Emacs compiled?