Re: Split frame?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Split frame?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:36:22 +0100

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:03:59 +0100 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 14.03.2007 um 14:18 schrieb Stephen Berman:
>>
>> Why do you think this is a problem with tabbar?
>
> It exhibits strange behaviour that fits into Vols' experience! I can
> kill in the upper window a buffer that still exists in the lower
> window. Only difference: the upper window had a valid dired contents,
> the lower window is just blank and kind of re-uses the same buffer
> name. Types of buffers are grouped, so a structure can change in the
> upper window and persists to exist in the lower buffer – only the
> contents is gone with the wind. This grouping also leads to an
> inability to return with C-x b to a previously used buffer, because
> the "group" has changed. One can never see all buffers open, I have
> to use mouse-buffer-menu to see what's in the frame(s) or session.
>
> One such grouping goes with buffers which names start with ``*´´:
> *shell* | *grep* | *Man something*. The (fundamental mode) buffers
> *Messages* or *Completions* or *calendar* or *Holidays* or *temp*
> (from calendar) are not in this group. Messages* and *scratch* build
> one group, *Holidays* and *Moonphases* are also grouped as another
> pair.
>
> I have no strong indication and I could not reproduce Vols'
> experience, it's just an assumption. To really verify this
> experience, Vols should follow my suggestion to launch GNU Emacs with
> no or less customisation, i.e. with -Q or -q switches ...

What version of tabbar.el are you using?  What you describe sounds
like a bug that was fixed in CVS some time ago (the current CVS
version is 1.69 (tabbar-version 2.0) from 8 June 2006; I cannot
reproduce what you describe in that version).  If you are using the
latest released version (tabbar-version 1.3), I would highly recommend
replacing it with the CVS version.  But if you do, be aware that there
were major changes between 1.3 and 2.0, and you may have to make
changes to your ~/.emacs or custom-file.

>>>              Doesn't the usual control-(left-)click bring up a pop-up
>>> with sorted or grouped buffers?
>>
>> The default binding of C-<mouse-1> is mouse-buffer-menu, which pops up
>> an unsorted and ungrouped buffer list.  What you describe sounds like
>> msb-mode (which overrides C-<mouse-1>).
>>

> It's bound to mouse-buffer-menu.

Are you saying this shows you a sorted and group buffer list, like
msb-mode does?  That would be very strange.  I don't get that with
mouse-buffer-menu in GNU Emacs 22.0.93.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.10.6) of 2007-02-08.

Steve Berman