Re: how to change mouse pointer color

From: George Nurser
Subject: Re: how to change mouse pointer color
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:05:23 +0000

On 15/03/07, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 15.03.2007 um 11:20 schrieb George Nurser:

> How do I change its color?

Via ~/.Xdefaults:

        Emacs*cursorColor:              OrangeRed2
        Emacs*pointerColor:             DarkOrchid4

or via ~/.emacs:

        (setq initial-frame-alist '(
          (mouse-color           . "midnightblue")

Hi Pete,

Changing the .emacs only seems to work on some versions of emacs.

I've tried on 3 diff computers at work.

1. red hat linux, running emacs 22.0.90.2 I compiled myself:
splash screen: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu Xttolkit, Xaw3d scrollbar

....2006-11-09

Mouse pointer is yellow arrow, transparent inside when visiting emacs
menu, yellow in buffers.

Adding to my .emacs
        (setq initial-frame-alist '(
          (mouse-color           . "midnightblue")
doesn't make any difference.

2. red hat linux, running emacs 21.3.1 from rpm:
splash screen: ia64-redhat-linux-gnu Xttolkit, Xaw3d scrollbar

... 2005-02-03

Mouse pointer is bey default solid black.
Adding to my .emacs
        (setq initial-frame-alist '(
          (mouse-color           . "midnightblue")
 does work.

3. red hat linux, running emacs 21.3.1 from rpm:
splash screen: i386-redhat-linux-gnu Xttolkit, Xaw3d scrollbar

... 2003-05-02

as 1. Yellow pointer, can't change it.

I've also tried emacs -q to make sure it's not something strange I
use, and it makes no difference.

Still puzzled. --George