Problem with loading emacs version 21.4 (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Tran, Catherine T CIV DISA GES-E
Subject: Problem with loading emacs version 21.4 (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:23:02 -0400

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello,

I recently installed emacs on Solaris server, and set up VNC server to
view the content remotely. From my VNC session I can invoke xclock and
xterm, but when invoking emacs '%emacs &' it gave me the following mesg:

emacs: standard input is not a tty

I suspect this has little to do with VNC or the DISPLAY variable since
xclock and xterm show up fine. During emacs installation, configuring
emacs make environment,

./configure --with-x=yes or --with-X11

I got the following (config.log also indicates errors due missing some
header files):

 What window system should Emacs use?                    none
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   No

>From searching around, I am guessing some Solaris packages are missing
from the OS installation -- perhaps ones that are linked to openWindow
or X11 or x11R6???.  If this is true, any idea on which package I should
'pkgadd -d' ?
The other question is: am I using the right emacs version to expect a
window display on Solaris?  There is a question of whther or not I have
to use xemacs.  Appreciate your help.

Regards,

-Catherine