Re: emacs + subversion + newbie = trouble ??

From: Patrick Drechsler
Subject: Re: emacs + subversion + newbie = trouble ??
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:24:14 +0100

William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:

> I want to use emacs as my text editor with subversion.  How do I set it
> up and get started?  What has to be in my ~/.emacs, what mode am I
> looking for?
>
> I think I have done my due diligence with subversion tutorials,
> emacswiki, emacs info, man etc. yet I find myself sitting here looking
> at a blank emacs frame, scratching my head and saying to myself "What
> button do I push first?".
>
> So, please, someone help me at the most basic level get started using
> subversion + emacs .

I normally do the initial import and first checkout from the command
line. Here is a short instruction (just replace all ssh stuff with
file:// if your server and client are on the same machine):

,----

svn+ssh://patrick@golem/media/data1/mysvn_reps/texmf-local -m "initial import"
|      7. Remove the original:
|       :cd ..
|       :rm -rf texmf-local
|      8. Checkout the complete repository type:
|       :svn checkout
svn+ssh://patrick@golem/media/data1/mysvn_reps/texmf-local/trunk texmf-local
`----

Once you have a working copy and open a file with emacs you'll see a
SVN version number in emacs modeline.

,----
| Emacs interface to svn (VC-mode):
|
|     - `C-x v v': take appropriate action (ie update)
|     - `C-x v d': open dired buffer in VC-mode
`----

You'll find further usefull info in the Emacs help. Entering:

C-h i d m Emacs RET m Version TAB RET

brings you here:

(info "(emacs)Version Control")

HTH

Patrick
--
The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second,
defined as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green