postscript printing from emacs

From: Stein Arild Strømme
Subject: postscript printing from emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:03:30 +0100

Hello,

I have the following problem printing with ps-print-buffer:  The
printer gives me one page containing only the letters "IB", and a
second page containing the following:

PCL XL error
       Subsystem:  KERNEL
       Error:      IllegalOperatorSequence
       Operator:   0x1b
       Position:   2

ps-print.el version 6.6.7, emacs 22.0.50.  Any idea what this is?  If
the postscript file is generated using ps-spool-buffer instead,
Ghostview is able to display the file correctly, but the same problems
occur if I try printing.  I have even moved the ps file to my Mac, and
Preview.app is not able to display it properly.

I take all of this to point in the direction of ps-print.el.  Any idea
how this can be fixed?  If an expert in postscript code wants to look
at the code, an example can be found on www.math.uib.no/stromme/psfil
(based on a buffer containing only the single letter "a").

As alternatives, I'm exploring ways to use a2ps or enscript instead,
but they don't seem to support utf-8.  Other ways?

Grateful for advice.  We need only very basic printing.

(lpr-buffer itself chokes on non-ascii characters; this may be due to
a complex printing environment at my institution, where there is a
Windows print server.)

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672