Re: gnu.emacs.sources: Only sources and patches, please

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: gnu.emacs.sources: Only sources and patches, please
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:47:33 -0400

> Hi,
>
> please let's move _discussions_ about packages posted to
> gnu-emacs-sources/gnu.emacs.sources to help-gnu-emacs/gnu.emacs.help
>
> gnu-emacs-sources is intended only for code and patches...

I don't like this convention.  The name "gnu.emacs.help" does not
particularly suggest to me that discussion for posts to
gnu.emacs.sources should be followed up there -- that is, I have no
certainty that program authors who post to .sources are also
subscribed to .help, and little hope that they can find replies to
their code submissions in .help, due to the relatively high volume of
that group.

Also, even if I am totally mistaken about my other assertions, I think
if replies to posts in .sources include new/revised source code, it is
disingenuous to tell people to send them to a different list.

If we must insist on different destinations for source and comments,
how about a separate, low-volume list (measured relative to
gnu.emacs.help) called gnu.emacs.sources.discuss?

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net