Re: Key bindings

From: SteveFKI
Subject: Re: Key bindings
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 06:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

Tassilo Horn-3 wrote:

> SteveFKI <stephen.brown@eu.fkilogistex.com> writes:
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
>>    (global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-line)
>>    (define-key global-map [end] 'end-of-line)
>>    (define-key global-map [C-home] 'beginning-of-buffer)
>>    (define-key global-map [C-end] 'end-of-buffer)
>>
>> I think this should work, and as you will see I have tried two ways to
>> map the HOME key. However, every time I press HOME it opens Search in
>> the mini-buffer (as if it is mapped to C-s). The END key works fine.
>
> Use `C-h k' to get the binding string and use that with the `kbd'-macro.
>
> ,----[ C-h k <home> ]
> | <home> runs the command move-beginning-of-line
> [...]
> `----
>
> ,----[ C-h k <C-home> ]
> | <C-home> runs the command beginning-of-buffer
> [...]
> `----
>
> You see, emacs 22 already has the bindings you want. :-)
>
> Nevertheless, if you would want to rebind them, you would do
>
>   (global-set-key (kbd "<C-home>") 'some-function)
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo
> --
> A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

I tried this, and I get the same problem. However, when I type C-h k <home>,
it emacs tells me that

"<find> runs the command search-forward
 (search-forward STRING &optional BOUND NOERROR COUNT)
      which is an interactive built-in function.

Sounds like I am trying to override a function, which cannot be overriden.

By the way I am using emacs  version 21.3.1, and not in aposition to
upgrade.

Any more ideas?

Thanks