King Abdullah Saud, we are for the first time EXTREMELY PROUD of you. 91

From: stj911
Subject: King Abdullah Saud, we are for the first time EXTREMELY PROUD of you. 911 INSIDE JOB has finaly WOKEN UP every one - "illegitimate foreign occupation" Re: "A British mother paraded on state TV. Forced to wear the hijab, "
Date: 29 Mar 2007 15:12:58 -0700

http://www.iraqslogger.com/index.php/post/2148/US_Officials_React_to_Saudi_Condemnation

U.S. Officials React to Saudi Condemnation
Abdullah Says Iraq Under "Illigitimate Foreign Occupation" at Arab
Summit
By SANDRA HERNANDEZ Posted 1 hr. 33 min. ago
Riyadh, SAUDI ARABIA: Saudi King Abdullah attends the Arab Summit, 28
March 2007 in Riyadh.
Hassan Amar/AFP/Getty
Riyadh, SAUDI ARABIA: Saudi King Abdullah attends the Arab Summit, 28
March 2007 in Riyadh.

In the latest sign that traditional U.S. ally Saudi Arabia is charting
its own course in the Middle East, King Abdullah condemned the U.S.
presence in Iraq as an "illegitimate foreign occupation" while
speaking at the Arab summit in Riyadh, eliciting restrained reactions
from Washington.

"In beloved Iraq, blood flows between brothers in the shadow of
illegitimate foreign occupation and hateful sectarianism, threatening
a civil war," King Abdullah said in remarks to the Arab League
Thursday, according to Reuters.

A U.S. official called the remarks extraordinary, "given that Riyadh
has officially recognized the Iraqi government and accepted post-
invasion U.N. resolutions regarding Iraq," the Los Angeles Times
reported.

Still, most U.S. officials were at pains to refute the charge without
antagonizing Saudi Arabia, a longtime U.S. ally and its second-largest
oil supplier after Canada.

"When it comes to the coalition forces being in Iraq, we are there
under the U.N. Security Council resolutions and at the invitation of
the Iraqi people," said White House spokeswoman Dana Perino.

Reactions at the State Department were even more conciliatory.
Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns, testifying before the Senate
Foreign Relations Committee, suggested that King Abdullah's comments
had been misinterpreted or mistranslated and expressed confidence that
the remarks would not upset U.S.-Saudi relations.

"Everyone shares a common interest in seeing an Iraq that is whole and
that is free and that is at peace and prosperous for all Iraqis," said
State Department spokesman Sean McCormack in response to the remarks,
according to Reuters.

King Abdullah's remarks were the latest sign that Saudi Arabia is
taking its own initiative in shaping regional politics, rather than
deferring to U.S. policies. Last February, it hosted talks where
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas agreed to work with rival faction
Hamas, which the U.S. lists as a terrorist organization.

And earlier this month, Saudi Arabia hosted Iranian President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad at a bilateral summit in Riyadh, raising the awkward
prospect of an alliance between the U.S.'s foremost Arab ally and its
strongest antagonist in the region.

A host of topics were discussed in the early rounds of the two-day
summit where King Abdullah made his remarks. Among them was the
standoff between Britain and Iran over the latter's seizure of fifteen
marines in a contested waterway separating Iran and Iraq.

Iran does not belong to the Arab League, a group of 22 mostly Arabic-
speaking nations in the Middle East and North Africa.