Re: Scroll output in compilation mode

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: Scroll output in compilation mode
Date: 2 Apr 2007 21:46:04 GMT

danjhiggi3@gmail.com wrote:
> I've spend about 8 hours trying to track this down.
>
> I would like to the compilation  buffer output to scroll even when my
> cursor is not in it.
> I have seen all of the recommendations to enter use the following...
>
> (setq compilation-scroll-output t)
>
> But this doesn't work as I had hoped.
>
> Again,
> I would like to have my cursor in the code,
> use the compile command,
> The window will spit
> my cursor stays in the code  window
> the compilation window will scroll as it goes along.
>
> I KNOW this can be done. I had it set up this way years ago and I
> can't remember how I did it.

I picked this up from someplace a long time ago and have been carrying it
around in my .emacs file ever since (but setting compilation-scroll-output
works for me too):

(eval-after-load "compile"
  '(defadvice compile-internal
     (after compile-my-scroll activate compile)
     "Forces compile buffer to scroll. See around line 363 in compile.el"
     (let* ((ob (current-buffer)))
       (save-excursion
         (select-window (get-buffer-window ad-return-value))
         (goto-char (point-max))
         (select-window (get-buffer-window ob))
         ))))