Re: Increment Search in a Certain Region?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Increment Search in a Certain Region?
Date: 5 Apr 2007 07:28:40 GMT

Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>    Drew> Otherwise, I don't think it's possible to tell `C-s' to
>    Drew> limit itself to the region.
>
> Au contraire!  Quoth (info "(emacs)Replace"):
>
>     The replace commands normally operate on the text from point to
>     the end of the buffer; however, in Transient Mark mode (*note
>     Transient Mark::), when the mark is active, they operate on the
>     region.

have you actually *tried* it? C-s is *not* a replace command, but an
incremental search, which is quite a different beast. you'll notice, for
example, that the incremental search commands are *not* discussed in the
section that you got this quote from.

setting a mark in transient mark mode and subsequently entering an
incremental search just moves point, keeping the region active. the search
is not limited to the region, however.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)