Re: more on mmm/php mode

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: more on mmm/php mode
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 23:28:00 +0200

Hadron wrote:
Anyone using mmm mode successfully to edit php/html combinations?

How is reformat/indent?

Hi Hadron,

No, but I was just going to write to the list that the new version of nXhtml mode can handle this combination quite good. It requires Emacs 22 (yet, hopefully released in some weeks) as you know. Are there still problems with Emacs 22 and debian/ubuntu?

I got some critic for the way I handled multiple modes in nXhtml and thought about it again and came to the conclusion that it was possible to write a fully functional general multiple major mode handling in Emacs 22 -- as long as you did not involve nXml and its derivatives.

Since that was what I really wanted to do I had to rethink again. And looking closer into the nXml code I finally understood how to make it cooperate with other major modes.

So nXhtml mode now offers editing of php/xhtml code with completion of xhtml tags, attributes and sometimes also attribute values. It requires no setup (except for unzipping and adding a single line to .emacs).

I actually uploaded the new version today (and introduced a new small bug I will just fix - it affects empty documents only). You can find it here, with explanations of how the new way of handling multiple major modes and xhtml completion works:

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html