Re: 8-bit characters input

From: Marco De Vitis
Subject: Re: 8-bit characters input
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:38:32 GMT

Il 13/04/2007 0:41, Stefan Monnier ha scritto:

I don't use OSX any more, so I can't check it out, but I've never needed
this "escape non-ascii chars" for anything.  I'd deactivate it and if you
encounter problems when using some other program in Terminal, try to figure
out how to adjust the configuration of that program.

When deactivating it, I could not type 8bit chars anymore in Terminal.app.

This is OT now, but I later played around with my customized .bash_profile (on OSX), it contained these two lines:

  stty cs8 -istrip -parenb
  bind 'set output-meta on'

I added them long time ago exactly for using 8bit chars in all Terminal apps, following some Usenet suggestions.
I now added this one:

  bind 'set convert-meta off'

...and everything seems to be fine now, without the need for the "Escape non-ASCII chars" option. Apart from the fact that now 8bit chars seem to be broken in the local OSX text-mode emacs, but I don't care about it, as I already said ;).

--
Ciao,
  Marco.