Simple syntax table stuff

From: thorne
Subject: Simple syntax table stuff
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:21:45 -0700

Hello.  I would like to be able to font-lock strings in a text-mode
type buffer.  I have figured out i can do this:

(defun fontify-strings ()
  "Add font-lock to double-quoted strings in the current buffer."
  (interactive)
  (modify-syntax-entry ?\" "\"")
  (font-lock-fontify-buffer))

Which does work, but it is permanant--i don't know how to write code
to turn the feature off.  Is there a way to do that (i assume there
must be)?

Also, is there a way to define comment delimiters in syntax such that
a character is a comment start if and only if it is in column 1?

--
þ    theron tlåx    þ
(compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))