Re: Some questions of a newbie

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Some questions of a newbie
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:42:06 +0200

Rjjd wrote:
>> Is there a good way to find which keybindings are used, so a free one can
>> be coupled to a macro?
>
> describe-bindings
> (I found this with apropos bind, i.e. ESC-x apropos RET bind RET)

That is very handy indeed. ;-}
I have to take some time to browse it. There are some interesting
keybinding. But it is very big.

>> In my .emacs I have:
>>   (setq ediff-use-toolbar-p nil)
>>
>> But the toolbar is still displayed. What am I doing wrong?
>>

> When you see the toolbar displayed, what is the value of
> ediff-use-toolbar-p?  It could be that loading ediff sets it back to t
> or somesuch.  (I'm on Windows, and I don't have ediff-use-toolbar-p.)

It is nil.
I used 'M-ESC :' to evaluate. That was a keybinding I saw with
describe-bindings. :-}

>> I added org-mode and nxml-mode.
>> The first uses:
>>   (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
>> the second uses:
>>   (setq auto-mode-alist
>>     (cons '("\\.\\(xml\\|xsl\\|rng\\|xhtml\\)\\'" . nxml-mode)
>>       auto-mode-alist))
>>
>> Is there a reason for this, or is it just what the creator liked? If the
>> second is the reason, then I prefer the first way and will change the way
>> of nxml.
>>

> The first notation lists one file extension.  I'm not sure why it has a
> "$". The second notation lists four different file extensions, any one of
> which is for nxml-mode.

I think the "$" is used to signify end of string.
So the difference is significant? I will let it alone then.