Re: Problem binding to a key

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Problem binding to a key
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:09:47 +1000

Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> writes:

> Rjjd wrote:
>
>> weber wrote:

>>> Because C-k already has another definition (killing text)
>>> You have to "undefine" C-k with something like this:
>>> (global-set-key "\C-k" nil)
>>> Hope it helps,
>>> weber
>>
>> But doesn't Cecil need to unbind \C-x\C-k, and not merely \C-k?
>> C-x C-k runs the command edit-kbd-macro.
>
> I got what I tried to do out of 'Learning GNU Emacs', pages 160 and 161. But
> it does not work. For example for the keybinding they give:
>   C-x C-k b
> But then I get:
>   Key sequence b is not a keyboard macro
>
> That is a big oops for O'Reilly.

Possibly not. That book is fairly old I think and emacs key binding may have
changed since it was written.

> I tried to use the reserved keys, but that is not possible. What is a good
> way to select keys for binding macro's to?

What I tend to do is use C-h b to get a list of the key bindings used in the
mode you want to bind the key for and then search for one that is not used. I
then might use C-h k to verify the key bind I plan to use is not already used.

There use to be a key binding FAQ posted to this list on a regular basis.
However, I've not seen it for quite some time now. I'm sure if you google you
will find a copy. It contains some good advice on key binding etc.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au