Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:46:34 -0400

30ish emacs user wrote:
> I'm wondering which age group most Emacs users fall into? How old are
> you? I'm 32.

Looks like I'm a baby. I'm 20 and started learning Emacs
when I was 18, when I started learning/using GNU/Linux.

Somebody a little ways back said something about the
interface not being "friendly" or something because it lacks
flashy buttons and popups and stuff, but I actually had to
turn all of that stuff off because that's part of why I
can't use most other computer applications (I tend to use
Emacs for nearly all my computer-related work). So there are
those of us who gravitate to Emacs partially *because* it
has the option to be made un-flashy and annoying (no offense
to whomever designed those features for Emacs--they work
very well for what they are). In my case, of course, this
was also partially because I like having all my work in one
place, and because I'm not very good at using the mouse and
prefer to type everything or have that option, and because I
like tinkering with things because I'm somewhat OCD, which
elisp certainly leaves open the option for...not to mention
Emacs's phenomenal, cosmic powers as compared to, say,
Notepad or MS-Anything.

So yeah, that's my two cents.

Amy