Re: Emacs and C++ codesense

From: Maciej Katafiasz
Subject: Re: Emacs and C++ codesense
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 02:35:25 +0000 (UTC)

Den Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:56:38 -0700 skrev spamfilteraccount@gmail.com:

> I'm looking for solutions for working with C++ code in Emacs.
>
> I'd like the following:
>
> - Jumping to the definition of the symbol I'm standing on when I press
> a key. I know tags is useful for that, but they don''t seem to work
> properly in every case, only in most of the cases and I'd like a
> proper solution.

I think you'll have to stick with tags, just make sure you use
exuberant-ctags, it has much more fancy support for things. A solution
based on semantic is possible, but not available as of yet.

> - Show the documentation of the current symbol in a tooltip when
> pressing a key. The tooltip is not a big deal. I can do it if I can
> get the documentation somehow.

See semantic-idle-completion-mode, semantic-ia-show-doc, although that
depends on how much info you want. You do get the prototype though.

> - Inteligent completion of the current symbol when I press a key.
>
> I don't want ECB, because I don't want separate windows within the
> frame showing information. I like to work in a single frame and get
> information only if I press a key explicitly.

That's good, since ECB doesn't concern itself with completion :).

> I suspect semantic can do some or all of the above. Is it true? Is
> there a solution out of the box which works like described above or I
> have to learn how the semantic api works and implement my own
> solution? How good is semantic's C++ parsing/support?

Semantic should fit the bill. There's semantic-ia-complete-symbol[-menu],
and also semantic-hover-completion.el, which I'm going to post in a
minute. I'm not exactly sure how much stress the C++ support can stand, as
I don't code C++, but basic testing says it works pretty well.

Cheers,
Maciej