RE: special-display-regexps

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: special-display-regexps
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:00:31 -0700

> >> and "^[*]help.*" still doesn't match *help[R](help-topic)* , but the
> >> same thing entered in a regexp search will match.
> >
> > The problem with your original code was only this: You have
> > [a-z]*, when you need [-a-z]*. In your example, you have
> > "(help-topic)", which includes the
> > character `-', which is not a lowercase letter.
>
> Ok, but what about the code here: "^[*]help.*" - that should match
> anything that starts with *help, followed by one or more of any
> character, no?

Zero or more characters except newline.

> That should cover any possible configuration of
> *help[R](<anything>)* ?

Yes.

> It works in regexp searches within a buffer,
> just not for a buffer name. I checked the value returned by
> (buffer-name), so I'm pretty sure I'm trying to match the right
> phrase.

Are you sure you're testing with `pop-to-buffer' or `display-buffer' (or
something that calls one of those)? It works for me, using your examples.

You can also test using `special-display-p', but you will need to ensure
that `same-window-buffer-names' and `same-window-regexps' are not
interfering with whatever you use for `special-display-buffer-regexps'.