Re: special-display-regexps

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: special-display-regexps
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:53:58 GMT

On 2007-04-27, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> That should cover any possible configuration of
>> *help[R](<anything>)* ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> It works in regexp searches within a buffer,
>> just not for a buffer name. I checked the value returned by
>> (buffer-name), so I'm pretty sure I'm trying to match the right
>> phrase.
>
> Are you sure you're testing with `pop-to-buffer' or `display-buffer' (or
> something that calls one of those)? It works for me, using your examples.
>
> You can also test using `special-display-p', but you will need to ensure
> that `same-window-buffer-names' and `same-window-regexps' are not
> interfering with whatever you use for `special-display-buffer-regexps'.

I don't know how to use pop-to-buffer or display-buffer to test
this. I tried special-display-p on the following, and all worked as
expected.

(special-display-p "*Completions*") ; returns t
(special-display-p "*Help*") ; returns t
(special-display-p "*help[R](matrix)*") ; returns t
(special-display-p "*scratch*") ; returns nil

Maybe it's something internal to ESS -- it uses a special function to
call the help buffer, so I've posted my problem on the
gmane.emacs.ess.general list to see if they know what's going on.

Thanks again,

Tyler