Re: How to compare strings?

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: How to compare strings?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:50:05 +0200

+ Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com>:

| Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
|> But I think there are completely different problems too. Does not some
|> languages sort partly depending the phonetics instead of the spelling?
|
| TBH i have no idea what you mean by that... could you give an example?

It's true, at least in Norwegian phone books.  Before the letter Å
entered our alphabet, Aa was used instead.  You don't find that in
regular words, anymore, but the practice survives in many family
names.  So a name like Aarnes would be alphabetized like it were
Årnes.  And just to make matters really confusing, the rule is
supposed not to be followed with foreign names where the aa really
does not corresponding to the letter å, so an algorithmic solution is
impossible.  (I strongly suspect that Norwegian phone books
consistently alphabetize aa as å, though, regardless of the origin of
the name.)

  -- Bertrand Russell