Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 09:18:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The reason is that with the patched version you do not have to start Emacs server in your .emacs, it is started automatically by the first invocation of emacsclient.

So not only is your Emacs patched and behaves differently, it also
teaches users habits that will prevent them from using the same .emacs
on other systems?  I find this disturbing.

You know very well, Eli, that we have discussed if Emacs server should be started automatically when Emacs client is invoked. I have offered the code that does so, but you are one of those that did not want that code to be in Emacs at the moment.

I think it is one of the important features in the patched version that makes it quite a bit easier to get started using Emacs for new users. Not one single of the new users have complained about this.