Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 12:12:10 -0400

PD> Am 02.05.2007 um 11:01 schrieb Stein Arild Strømme:

>> Were there Meta and Control keys there, or how did we do it?  Did
>> it involve backspacing?

PD> I don't remember any Escape, Meta, Alt, Control, Shift, or
PD> Backspace key on those teletype like IBM keyboards – how would you
PD> rub out punched holes?

Of course pick  some chaff and a bit of  glue. Experienced and careful
users used chips with the appropriate coluour and number.

"Cut'n'paste" is not a Xerox invention.

More seriously: in some 1950  books I readed about blackening out with
a pencil the place where a hole should have been. The blackening could
be rubbedo  out. This made sense  where a punched card  was a "record"
with columns (or groups of or even part of) being "fields".

Graphite could be later sensed and use to drive the final punching...

When  I found  the last  civil engineering  students operating  one of
those, a typing error meant a wasted card...

--
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____