Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Ekkehard Görlach
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 22:26:49 +0200

Petter Gustad <newsmail6@gustad.com> writes:

> Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:
>
>> Oh, come on.  Surely, I cannot be the only one here who's been using
>> punch cards?  Rhetorical question really; I know of one other at
>
> I used punched cards in 1981/1982. One of my first programs on the
> GOULD SEL machine I used for seismic signal processing was to replace
> the deck of seven cards to start the batch job and never have to use
> punched cards again.

I remember punching cards in the late 70s to feed the CAE 90/40 in our
Physics institute. Punching cards, however, wasn't really my
favorite. I therefore looked for other ways to produce them. Finally I
managed to enter the programs and data into an (sort of) editor on a
Telefunken TR440 located in our data center only to let this machine
punch them out...

As for emacs: just turned 50 and started using it about twelve years
ago on a DEC OSF1 box when I did some lab automation work in mass
spectroscopy. Still using it every day.

Ekkehard