Re: Emacs Calc: converting FROM Unix Time, unrecognized time zone

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Emacs Calc: converting FROM Unix Time, unrecognized time zone
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:27:37 -0500

Alan <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to use calc to convert a vector of unix times in a tide
> table.  When using "t-U" to convert unix time, the following error is
> received:
>
>           Unrecognized time zone name: error
>
> I changed the time zone (Gentoo GNU/Linux) by copying the posix GMT+10
> zoneinfo file over /etc/localtime.  This seemed to make a difference
> the first time---my timezone name is a little obscure, or so I
> reasoned: "ChST" (I am on Saipan, N. Mariana Islands).

Yes; the Calc manual (under "Time Zones") has a list of time zones it
recognizes, and "ChST" is not one of them.  With no other information
to go on, Calc will look at the output of the "date" function to
determine the time zone.  You could bypass the "date" function and
tell Calc the timezone by setting Calc's `TimeZone' variable.

> Also, I am uncertain how to use this command to convert FROM unix time
> to something else.

`t U' will switch between unix time and date forms.  To convert a
vector of unix times into date forms, map 't U" across the vector:
`V M t U'

> Probably the time zone error is peripheral to my main problem, which
> is just being able to convert a vector of a few thousand items by
> grabbing them from a file into calc.

If the items are already grabbed, then it looks like `V M t U' is what
you want.

Jay