Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 05:04:08 +0200

On 5/5/07, Kim F. Storm <no-spam@cua.dk> wrote:

but the discussion was going around
in circles

Yes. In a previous post Eli has described the process quite accurately.

and was becoming quite personal.

Personal?

Accusing Lennart of being
destructive was unjustified IMHO.

And accusing Eli of the same wasn't? I'm sitting here waiting for you
to say to Lennart the same you said to me...

Neither am I :-)

Your command of English is obviously much better than mine (I'm
self-taught, after all), but as I've said, I choose to use
"destructive" for a specific reason; that was no slip.

IMO, we have to balance this "cross-platform consistency" with the
user's expectation of "Emacs working seamlessly on _my_ platform".

There are specific limits to that balance. For example, if I'm not
mistaken, RMS forbids changes that would give Emacs an advantage on
Windows over GNU/Linux or other free operating systems.

So why don't we try to find ways to accomodate people like Lennart who
really wants to contribute, but whose ideas are too radical to be the
default behaviour?

Perhaps you're right, but here we aren't discussing a radical idea,
just an half-cooked one (IMO, etc.).

            Juanma