Re: Emacs and C++ codesense

From: Maciej Katafiasz
Subject: Re: Emacs and C++ codesense
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 11:48:43 +0000 (UTC)

Den Sat, 05 May 2007 12:18:58 +0200 skrev Hadron:

>>> ok, so it wasn't a demo of what semantic can do. It was a mish mash of
>>> different things not likely to be reproduced by anyone but yourself :-;
>>
>> But of course, large parts of it were due to semantic usage. You asked how
>> it can fit C coding, this is my answer.
>
> But which bits? I have no idea which bits were semantic and which others
> were part of your "mish mash of other packages".

Semantic shines through whenever you can see emacs visibly having an idea
about the code's meaning. In this demo, it means 1) the suggestion popus
2) the second time I use `fwritex' template, in which FILE *STREAM formal
parameter is replaced by a choice of all currently visible variables of
type FILE*

>>> Why did you do your own completion? What was wrong with intellisense?
>>> Have you used intellisense?
>>
>> Uhh, this *is* intellisense. At least as long as you regard
>> "intellisense"
>
> Well, when you say your wrote your own completion package, how is one
> supposed to know the difference?

"intellisense" is either 1) IntelliSense, a trademarked name for MSVS
context-sensitive completion, in which case none of the above is
intellisense 2) a generic name for a class of similarly-working packages,
in which case both are implementations of intellisense. If you want to
know the difference, download the package and read the description

>> as a generic description and not trademarked name by MSFT. I wrote it
>> because the existing completion popups for semantic were not close
>> enonugh to the original IntelliSense, or rather, diverged in ways that
>> seriously hindered their usefulness.
>
> I turn the pop ups off and use tab cycle completion - works quite
> nicely.
>
> But again, could U request some sort of explanation of the demo gif?
> Just looking at it tells me nothing whatsoever about how you used
> semantic to do a job of work.

Not really, I don't have the time for that now. I intend to turn it into a
properly integrated and easy to install and setup package, but it hasn't
happened yet.

Cheers,
Maciej