Re: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-

From: mopi
Subject: Re: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
Date: 6 May 2007 14:02:28 -0700

On May 6, 9:04 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Customize swbuff-delay-switch to change that.

Nice! I didn't know that.

> > Also, when I
> > cycle to a another buffer name in the list I need to press RET to
> > actually switch to it. The preferred way would be to switch to the
> > currently highlighted buffer when I release the Ctrl key. Like Alt-Tab
> > works in windows.
>
> Unfortunately you can not make it act precisely like that in Emacs.
> However you can press for example Tab to do the switching. This is a bit
> more convenient then pressing RET.

Do you mean that it is impossible to do this in Emacs or that swbuff
isn't the right tool for it? If there is a way to intercept keyup
events then it is probably possible.
Btw, your help here and your work with EmacsW32 is very appreciated.

Drew et al,
I haven't looked at icicles, I might do that. What I want to do is
narrow the gap between emacs and other applications that I use
frequently. I know that there are other and IMO superior ways to
switch buffers than C-tab in emacs but I prefer to use one method that
works everywhere (i.e. where it matters for me) to lessen the mental
load when switching between applications. Btw, even firefox switches
between tabs with C-tab (although as of 2.0 they crippled it to only
cycle sequencially).