Re: Another 'best' practices question ??

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Another 'best' practices question ??
Date: 8 May 2007 06:40:15 -0700

On May 4, 8:58 pm, William Case <billli...@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 09:36 -0700, Robert Thorpe wrote:
<snip>
> > A simple mode consisting of a single .el file I would put straight
> > into the site-lisp directory.  If the mode consists of many files that
> > would make reading the directory confusing then I'd make a new
> > directory just to put the mode in.  Then add that dir to the load-path
> > in .emacs.  Or, add a line into .emacs to load the main file of the
> > mode directly rather than relying on the load-path.
>
> > There are no hard-and-fast rules.
>
> I gather.

Sebastian also has a point, stuff in site-lisp is "site wide"
available to every user on the machine.  I find this is normally the
right thing to do, but it might not be in every circumstance.

> I recently went through the SVN manual.  One of the things that made it
> a real learner was the authors took the time to write a "best practises"
> paragraph or two at the conclusion of major sections.  It's a nice way
> to summarize what has been taught previously and to relieve any concern
> that a new user might have about looking like an idiot greenhorn the
> first time they use a program publicly.

That might be useful.  If you think that would be useful then you
could suggest it to the Emacs development team, emacs-devel@gnu.org .